Sign On
Create Account

Last

TypeCreatedCategoryCreatorSortVotesHidesRating
multiple13-Oct-2009hypothetical questionIseult unsorted54367.9%

Advanced_Stats

How would you react if you received the following note from your kid's teacher?

Imagine you have a kid if you don't - I don't want to hear any 'I'd be surprised that I have a child'.

image

VotesAnswer
0I would punish my child
1I would have a talk with my child about how it's wrong to contradict teachers
0I would apologize to the teacher
23I wouldn't apologize to the teacher
29I'd go and have a talk with the teacher to defend what my child has done
31I'd take it up with the principal
23I'd have a talk with my kid to let them know they did the right thing
10I would do something else
0I wouldn't do anything


UserComment
Crayons
posted 14-Oct-2009 12:52am  
It's the teacher's fault that it got so blown up like this. Why didn't she simply look down in the math book and check? Does she believe that she is godly?
was_Frostbrand
posted 14-Oct-2009 1:25am  
I just had a flashback to 1st grade. I can still remember my Mom and Dad fuming at the principal and saying "Next time you want to get our son in trouble how about you make sure he actually did what you claim he did?"

That teacher is a dickhole, to put it kindly.
Jabbc7
posted 14-Oct-2009 2:45am  
I wouldn't want my child to just accept what someone is saying without giving it thought/questioning it. That lets me know that my child is developing critcal thinking skills that are necessary in a world filled with BS.
FordGuy
posted 14-Oct-2009 7:07am  
IF that's real, I'd have the teacher fired.
gambler
posted 14-Oct-2009 7:44am  
definetly defend child etc etc .....is this really a true letter???
jettles Survey Central Subscriber
posted 14-Oct-2009 8:12am  
i think i would be livid to receive such an idiotic note from the teacher. if my child was disrespectful in his/her delivery of the information, i would talk to him/her about how to approach the delivery but i can't even believe that the letter says "alex would be better off simply accepting my teachings without resistance." how ridiculous is that?? ugh, i get angry just thinking about it and i don't even have children! i would talk with the teacher, principal and whoever else i could see, the superintendent.
Zang
posted 14-Oct-2009 9:22am  
I'd send a letter to Mr. Hilliker informing him that my son wouldn't be attending detention. I'd also let Mr. Hilliker know that I thought he was an idiot and any further issues along these lines would be taken up with his employer.
bill Survey Central Gold Subscriber
posted 14-Oct-2009 9:39am  
I'd be all like, "I have a kid?! Holy crap!"

I guess I'd talk to my kid about the importance of how one represents themselves when they find someone else has inaccurate information, especially when that someone else has authority. I'd try to talk about the importance of diplomacy in such situations. Also, how unimportant something like this in the general scheme of things. "Kid, you're going to run into people you think are wrong a lot in life. How you deal with that can make a big difference..."
I'm not sure if I'd talk to the teacher or their principal. I'm not sure what there is to say. I guess I could just sort of do the obvious, apology for my kid's attitude, but also express concern over inaccuracies in the lesson the teacher taught.
Iseult
(reply to gambler) posted 14-Oct-2009 10:09am  
I have no idea if it's true, I just found it online. I tend to distrust anything I see online without a solid proof.
LJD
posted 14-Oct-2009 10:35am  
How old is the child? It all depends on 'how' he handled it...done respectfully, the child was right. If the child argued with the teacher, that is not right...just making the correct answer should have sufficed, and this is where the child could learn when to stop or proceed.. If the child was right, and he defended his answer, I'd say good he knows the answer. If the teacher ostracizes the child, I'd say the teacher needs some schooling, on diplomacy. There are a lot of lessons here for both the student and teacher.
LJD
posted 14-Oct-2009 10:41am  
I would have a talk with the teacher, and my child. You might point out to the teacher, that he/she did a good job teaching the 'right' answer. Tell he/she (teacher) that they are making a bad example for the students by ostrasizing the student for being right....there is something wrong with the picture. Then talk to your child about how to handle situations such as this. Tell your child they should respect their elders, however, never be afraid to stand up for what is right.
Galomorro
posted 14-Oct-2009 11:02am  
I'd defend the kid to the teacher and tell the kid they did the right thing. I myself was a very rebellious nonconforming kid and heartedly disliked authority of all kinds, especially teachers. Gawd, how I hated some of them. It is right for a kid to speak up like that. Good for him or her. Give the kid a reward! Complain about the teacher to a higher authority.
labjog
posted 14-Oct-2009 11:05am  
Is this from Frosty's school days? Hi Frosty smile
Enheduanna Survey Central Subscriber
posted 14-Oct-2009 12:42pm  
I'd talk to the teacher and, if necessary, the principal, to see that my child didn't have to go to detention. I wouldn't want my child to receive the message that he'll be punished for standing up for what he knows is right. However, I would also have a talk with my child about how to better deal with these kinds of situations, since it seems that something did go wrong in terms of how he handled the situation. It would have been better for him to disagree once and let it go for the time being, bringing it up with the teacher, parents, or principal in private later.
Liss
posted 14-Oct-2009 1:00pm  
'Jude, you prat. [Insert playful punch on the shoulder] Aw, I'm not happy about this, I'm telling you. Oo is it again, tell me what happened? [Insert lengthy story from Jude] Jesus. Thass fudging, that's out of order. Don't worry mate.'

Then I go down to the school and give the teacher what for.
cerealkiller Survey Qualifier
posted 14-Oct-2009 1:08pm  
Change schools or have the teacher fired.
Richard47
posted 14-Oct-2009 3:35pm  
I would tell Alex that, although he was right, his behavior was inappropriate. You do not call people a 'lier'...you simply tell them: "I believe you are inncorrect." He could have added: "Could we look it up now to just check?" If the teacher said no, then the teacher would be at fault. Also, I would tell Alex that 'he' could look it up himself and present the correct information to the teacher after class. No one wants to be embarrassed, especially in an educational setting. But next, I would speak to the teaching regarding the issue of, 'accepting my teachings without resistance'. I would not agree with this philosophy and I would want Alex to question the facts if he does not believe that they are correct. In fact, I would encourage him to do that and would not expect punishment to result from his inquisition . But this isn't an issue of right and wrong. It is an issue of behavior so I would agree with the detention. I would (also) encourage Alex to tell me if this ever happened again and 'how' he handled it. I would tell the teacher that I have instructed Alex to do so.
llamamama
posted 14-Oct-2009 3:55pm  
Holy crap 1994!
But without hearing anymore on the issue..I can't say what I would do. Was the kid being disrespectful? Regardless of if he was right or not, if he was being disrespectful..he deserves the punishment..and that's kind of what it sounds like to me. If the letter's real, that is.

But it was a different time then.
gambler
(reply to Iseult) posted 14-Oct-2009 7:04pm  
seems fake, only because I cannot believe a teacher would be so completely wrong...
LindaH Bronze Star Survey Creator
posted 14-Oct-2009 8:16pm  
One time, I was right about an issue, and the teacher told me not to explain it because the rest of the class wouldn't understand. She went ahead and let them think the wrong thing.
dab
posted 14-Oct-2009 8:41pm  
In sixth grade, I told the teacher that the textbook was wrong. It was a commonly repeated error about what is the closest star to our solar system. The teacher was good. He told me he thought the textbook was correct so I should bring in proof of what I said. It stopped me from disrupting the class but didn't put me down. I brought in a book out of the local college library and he acknowledged the textbook was wrong.
Iseult
(reply to gambler) posted 14-Oct-2009 11:23pm  
I agree, but I still thought it would be interesting what people think about it.
Iseult
(reply to LindaH) posted 14-Oct-2009 11:23pm  
What was the issue?
LindaH Bronze Star Survey Creator
(reply to Iseult) posted 15-Oct-2009 12:04am  
Fact and opinion. Statements that begin with "I think" are facts.
gambler
(reply to Iseult) posted 15-Oct-2009 8:07am  
absolutely!
LoriJanine
posted 15-Oct-2009 12:24pm  
I remember that, Linda. "I think blue is a nice color." is a fact.
icurok
posted 15-Oct-2009 2:25pm  
Truth is a greater virtue than respect for authority.

If this happened to Holly, I'd be really proud of her for standing up for something she knew to be wrong. I would inform the teacher that Holly would not be attending the detention and that if he ever abused his position of authority again by coercing the children in his class to accept untruths as truth, I would be taking it up with his superiors.
southernyankee
posted 15-Oct-2009 7:11pm  
I'd take my kid out of that school and enroll him in a private or parochial school, where teachers aren't retarded. Then I would complain to the school board and/or the principle that they need to increase their standards. Not that it would matter, because the teachers' unions would block it.
Kristal_Rose
posted 16-Oct-2009 2:18am  
Probably take it up with the teacher and principal, and coach the kid on being tactful about making these sorts of corrections.

Since back in grade school I hung out with the teachers, but I also had no reservations about questioning or supplementing anything they had to say either. I pretty much taught the last class I attended, providing lectures while the instructor attended to lab assistance.
Kristal_Rose
(reply to Iseult) posted 16-Oct-2009 2:32am  
I've experienced far more wacko teachers. I once made the mistake of disproving the myth that my 9th grade geometry teacher would go berserk upon hearing references to ducks by drawing an antlered duck pulling a sleigh while everyone else was filling the boards with christmas vacation drawings. The class returned to their desks and watched in silent terror as I drew those final webbed feet before the teachers stammering gesticulations and rage kicked in. And there for a few minutes I thought I was being a hero to everyone, proving wrong a decade of absurd rumors.
cprasky
posted 16-Oct-2009 7:55am  
I would not apologize to the teacher.
I would talk to the teacher and defend my child.
I would take it up with the principal.
I would talk with my kid and let him know he did the right thing.
I would also talk with my kid about perhaps being a bit more diplomatic in the future, eg, "you're mistaken" rather than "You're lying"

I once had a note from Grant's teacher which upset me a bit because the teacher in the note was using the words "effect" and "affect" incorrectly. It was concerning Grant's "disrupting behavior effecting the class" and how we couldn't allow "this affect to continue unchecked". Petty of me perhaps, but I did point this out to the teacher. I don't like it when a high school dropout (myself) knows more than even primary school teachers. Something is definitely wrong here....
coffee5437
posted 16-Oct-2009 9:19pm  
I would defend my childs right to challenge this person. Particularly since my child was correct. That teacher is a idiot. What is the point of teaching incorrect facts and expecting children to not challenge it?

My mother stood up for us, people constantly mispronounce the capital of South Dakota (I was born there) and a teacher said I was wrong but my mother went to the school a gave the teacher and lesson. Pierre is pronounced "Peer" not "Pee-air"

I said: talk with teacher
talk with principal (if at first you don't succeedsmile
let my kid know they did the right thing.
mandy
posted 16-Oct-2009 11:24pm  
I'd have my child removed from this class.
judgescratch
posted 17-Oct-2009 11:36am  
WOW.
Well, I'd talk to my son, in an attempt to explain the importance of "soft skills", i.e. people skills. It's okay for him to contradict, but he needs to do it better. Good life lesson I think...I'd just do nothing in regards to the teacher.
they Survey Central Subscriber
posted 17-Oct-2009 11:43pm  
http://www.snopes.com/humor/letters/hilliker.asp

There will be no apologies from my child.
I would talk to the principal.
I would tell my kid she did the right thing.
they Survey Central Subscriber
posted 17-Oct-2009 11:47pm  
It's dated 4/20.
cprasky
(reply to they) posted 18-Oct-2009 8:02am  
laughing out loud

wink
Gomezy3k
posted 18-Oct-2009 10:36am  
I'd tell the teacher he was a dumb a** and needs to learn more about what he is supposed to know and teaches. There is no excuse for stupidity. Telling my kid or anyone they are to excuse stupidity just because the stupid person is "in charge" is nonsense. The liberal twits these days teaching the kids do not like to be contradicted and hate to let the truth get in the way of their liberal agenda of brainwashing the students.
was_Frostbrand
(reply to Gomezy3k) posted 18-Oct-2009 4:40pm  
> I'd tell the teacher he was a dumb a** and needs
> to learn more about what he is supposed to know
> and teaches. There is no excuse for stupidity.
> Telling my kid or anyone they are to excuse stupidity
> just because the stupid person is "in charge"
> is nonsense. The liberal twits these days teaching
> the kids do not like to be contradicted and hate
> to let the truth get in the way of their liberal
> agenda of brainwashing the students.

Yes, because it was liberals who attacked people who were saying that there no WMDs in Iraq, and it's liberals who are trying to push creationism in schools, and...

Seriously, do you even WANT to know what the fudge you're talking about before you open your trap?
autumnlight
posted 19-Oct-2009 3:39pm  
Ha, I've seen this before. My child would definitely not be going to detention.
cloudhugger
posted 20-Oct-2009 12:13am  
wtf
why would a teacher blantantly tell students the wrong information?
Is the teacher some kind of control freak? I'd have a talk with the teacher and ask that the principle or whomever the teachers boss is to be present while I simply NOT accept that as proper teaching.
cloudhugger
posted 20-Oct-2009 12:18am  
oh...and I would talk to my imaginary child and most likely punish him for being rude to the teacher.
Biggles Bronze Star Survey Creator Survey Qualifier
posted 21-Oct-2009 4:24pm  
I'd write them a snarky letter back.
AnAnde04
posted 22-Oct-2009 2:04pm  
I would let the teacher know that by giving my child detention instead of accepting that he was wrong and fixing it for the future, he was acting like a child. Honestly, if I had a student that did that to me, I would be thankful. I don't want students getting the wrong information.
romeoandjuliet
posted 22-Oct-2009 3:00pm  
I would make sure the teacher is fired.
Enigma
posted 26-Oct-2009 12:28am  
I think speaking to the teacher may be a waste of time simply because he seems to be on some kind of a power trip. Since our children are in school to learn I would be concerned when they are taught the wrong thing. Sure the teacher was probably embarrassed but could have gracefully corrected himself in a variety of ways. If after doing so the student continued to mock him then that teacher would have a reason to reprimand the student. I would talk to the principal. I would also want to know from my kid exactly what happened.
CarlHalling
posted 27-Oct-2009 7:56am  
I'd probably e-mail the teacher, and explain that the kid was in the right and what was he or she thinking by making such a flagrant error; although I'd also ensure that my kid know that telling adults they're lying is rude and wrong.
LuridHope
posted 17-Nov-2009 5:13pm  
Though this makes a valid allegorical point, is there any proof that this highly circulated internet meme is real?
Kristal_Rose
(reply to LuridHope) posted 18-Nov-2009 5:29am  
Just currently there are 3.2 million teachers in the U.S. So really, what are the chances that a teacher hasn't written this from time to time?
Psychopath
posted 26-Dec-2009 9:00pm  
I would take it up with principal for sure. Why would the teacher being telling the students incorrect information and expect them not to question him. I would probably talk to my child as well about the situation. I would explain to my child (if they did say what the teacher quoted them as saying) that they should try and phrase their comments a little less harshly. Overall, I would definitely say there is something very weird about this teacher.
caviartaste
posted 24-Apr-2010 10:26pm  
I'd take it up with the principal. First of all, every sentence in the letter contains an air of hostility from the teacher. Two people cannot be teaching at the same time and in this case, it seems the teacher didn't appreciate that he got "schooled". That's his personal problem, and not MY kids.
My parents taught me that if you're right about something - you shouldn't apologize for being "wrong" when you're not......they didn't teach me to be defiant in this regard, but to try to have more confidence in the times when I DO understand the context, and know the facts, and can back up the facts... I am a person who, at times would be submissive to someone who is oppressive, and I think it's important that kids know when to speak up, without turning them into little butt-holes.
I would be proud if this was my kid....and I would definitely address this with the principal. That teacher's got his own demons and they started way before he met Alex.
Last
Advanced_Stats

If you'd like to vote and/or comment on this survey, please Sign On

 
Link this survey: http://surveycentral.org/survey/react-received-following-note-kids-teacher--31471.html

Hits: 1 today (15 in the last 30 days)