Sign On
Create Account

Last

TypeCreatedCategoryCreatorSortVotesHidesRating
multiple15-Oct-2005personal experiencesouthernyankee by votes62756.8%

Advanced_Stats

Which of these punishments (or consequences) have you ever gotten?



VotesAnswer
38afterschool detention
35had to write a sentence, phrase, or word X number of times on a loose leaf
32spanked, paddled, hit with a ruler, other corporal punishment (not counting by gf/bf or as some stupid frat initiation)
31kicked out of class
31lost recess/recess detention
30made stand in the corner
26parents receiving phone call over something you did
26a traffic violation ticket
23lost watching TV, phone, internet access privileges
20a fine
19grounded by parents from going outside
18made do push-ups, running, other physical activity (not counting losing a game in PE)
16had some other writing punishment on a loose leaf
14lost some other kind of privilege by parents or school officials
14suspension from school
12had to do one of the above on a chalkboard
11had to write multiplication tables X number of times on a loose leaf
11lost driving privileges (by parents or legal guardians)
11in-school suspension
10traffic school
9getting handcuffed in public (by police officer. once again, not counting gf/bf)
8some other punishment not listed here
7received a "0" or other failing grade for cheating
7thrown in jail for less than 48 hours with no charges pressed
7having to answer this survey (and you better not mark this option or I'll come to your house and kick you square in the nuts)
6Saturday detention
5getting handcuffed in a relatively private setting (by police officer)
4jailed with charges pressed
4banned from hanging around with your best friends
3suspension for X number of games in some sport or other competition
3banishment from some public property (national parks, rest areas, etc) for a temporary amount of time
3banishment from some private property for life
2community service
2lost driving license
2being tied to a chair and forced to listen to Celine Dion records over and over again
2being kicked square in the nuts (or that area) by the SC for marking previous option
1had to wear a dunces hat
1banishment from some private property for a temporary amount of time
1banishment from a nation or state
1convicted and sentenced to more than 90 days in jail/prison
1more than 5
1death sentence
1forced to wear a t-shirt
1received a restraining order
1some other punishment or limitation that the judge ordered
0a year expulsion from school
0a year ban from a particular sporting or other competition league
0permanent expulsion from school
0banned from a particular sporting or other competition league for life
0banishment from some public property (national parks, rest areas, etc) for life
0banishment from a town
0banishment from an organization
0more than 10
0more than 25
0life sentence
0being catapulted out of town like they did in the Simpsons
0forced to wear an ankle bracelet
0castration
0my village shunned me for some time
0I was put in one of those things they did during the Puritan days where my head and hands were sticking out though a hole
0something that the army made me do
0I have never been punished or received any negative consequence in my life.


UserComment
RainingFeathers Bronze Star Survey Creator
posted 15-Oct-2005 12:41pm  
made stand in the corner, kicked out of class,
had to write a sentence, phrase, or word X number of times on a loose leaf,
had some other writing punishment on a loose leaf,
had to do one of the above on a chalkboard,
lost recess/recess detention,
afterschool detention,
parents receiving phone call over something you did,
lost watching TV, phone, internet access privileges,
grounded by parents from going outside,
lost some other kind of privilege by parents or school officials,
banned from hanging around with your best friends,
some other punishment not listed here.
gambler
posted 15-Oct-2005 12:42pm  
Helluva list
paulyw Gold Star Survey Creator
posted 15-Oct-2005 1:00pm  
I had quite a few punishments. The worst was standing in the corner both at school, and at a friend's house.
Enheduanna Survey Central Subscriber
posted 15-Oct-2005 1:20pm  
Stand in the corner (with my hands raised over my head), write sentences on paper, I think I had an after school detention once, parents getting phone call, spanked.

That thing the Puritans used is called the stocks.
patarnone
posted 15-Oct-2005 1:46pm  
I was a good little girl. My Mother told me that if I did something I knew was wrong, she'd find me standing in a corner . I don't remember ever getting in trouble in school.

I did have a drug charge for having pot in a mutual suitcase coming back across the Canadian border back in 1967. Penny's boyfriend was pissed he didn't make the trip and ratted us off to save himself on a parole violation. I got 6 months, but only did 3 in the Whatcom County Jail.

Everything else I pretty much got away with.
thevelvetcure
posted 15-Oct-2005 4:10pm  
btw - I was put in one of those things they did during the Puritan days where my head and hands were sticking out though a hole is called the laughing stock
thevelvetcure
posted 15-Oct-2005 4:12pm  
wow, I have quite a # of these, I'll just list the ones that I'm the only 'checker'

In school suspension
Traffic school - actualy it was optional, but I chose to so the points would be removed from my record

WHERE IS SOAP???
LordOfTheBling
posted 15-Oct-2005 4:24pm  
Grounded, strapped, beaten, arrested, fined, punished, loss of privileges, and half a day in jail... All in all, fairly average dude growing up in this crazy world. :)
mve17
posted 15-Oct-2005 5:25pm  
castration
CarolL
posted 15-Oct-2005 6:04pm  
thatsalotta consequences.
Enigma
posted 15-Oct-2005 8:01pm  
"forced to wear a t-shirt"? what kind of punishment is that?
Coco
posted 15-Oct-2005 8:22pm  
made stand in the corn
kicked out of class
had to do one of the above on a chalkboard
lost recess/recess detention
after school detention
Saturday detention
parents receiving phone call over something you did
lost watching TV, phone, internet access privileges
grounded by parents from going outside
suspension from school
in-school suspension
suspension for X number of games in some sport or other competition
I was a little brat !!!!!!!! laughing out loud



Amanda
posted 15-Oct-2005 9:35pm  
I clicked a lot of these. And, of course, I clicked the one about answering this survey. I don't have nuts, so I'm wondering how you're going to kick me in them.
darkshadowsseeker
posted 15-Oct-2005 10:54pm  
I click the forbidden option. Come on and kick me in the balls if you can find them!
CGTREE
posted 15-Oct-2005 11:35pm  
How long did it take to write these options...holly crap....Thats a lot of options.......I didn't even read them all...
jettles Survey Central Subscriber
posted 16-Oct-2005 12:43am  
i was thrown out out the movies once and thrown out of a party once........... not too much else.
teatree
posted 16-Oct-2005 2:36am  
What in the Sam Hill does 'on a loose leaf' mean? That's been puzzling me for quite awhile.
caviartaste
posted 16-Oct-2005 9:45am  
wrote sentences, multiplication tables, detention, paddled, spanked, traffic violation, traffic school, and I've been slapped in the face by my dad and whipped with a belt - both things only happened once. They never had to happen again.

I know that a lot of people will say that whaaaa violence is not healthy for raising a child....but let me tell you something....it put a healthy fear in me that i better respect and obey my parents. KIDS HAVE NO FEAR today. That's whats wrong with them. That's why they're killing each other. They're not afraid. If parents would stop coddling them and raise them like we were raised, where it was ok to let us fall down and get hurt - they let us cry...they let us make mistakes...and they punished us when we did something wrong, and NO ONE stepped in between the parent and their child and told them any different. ..... ....If things were still that way...things might not be as "Jerry Springer" as they are right now.
Irene007
posted 16-Oct-2005 11:51am  
Spanked (once that I remember)
Had to write a sentence, phrase, or word X number of times on a loose leaf (but the whole class had to as well - I wasn't singled out)

Being tied to a chair and forced to listen to Celine Dion records over and over again (exept I wan't tied to the chair, I was in a restaurant!0
Irene007
(reply to Coco) posted 16-Oct-2005 11:53am  
> made stand in the corn
> kicked out of class
> had to do one of the above on a chalkboard
> lost recess/recess detention
> after school detention
> Saturday detention
> parents receiving phone call over something you did
> lost watching TV, phone, internet access privileges
> grounded by parents from going outside
> suspension from school
> in-school suspension
> suspension for X number of games in some sport or other competition
> I was a little brat !!!!!!!! laughing out loud
>
>


Ah! So that's what you were up to all those years I didn't see you! winking raspberry

Irene007
(reply to southernyankee) posted 16-Oct-2005 12:12pm  
I was banned from a bar once. Not that I cared anyway - it was one of those bars with social dancing and lots of white trash. I went with my then girlfriend (who was a rather simple minded, common type girl) just to please her because I hated that kind of bar. The people are so cheesy. Anyway, as I walked past the bar, I guy tried to flirt with me but I didn't even hear him so he promptly invited my friend to dance and all the while was asking her what a nice girl like her was doing with a slut/snob like me. He kept on trying to get her to dump me right there. I guess he felt shunned by my lack of acknowledgment to his flirtations and took me for a snob or something. He didn't like that one bit. Little did he know that as soon as she was back from the dance floor; she repeated everything he said to me so I went right up to his face and asked what the fudge was his problem. He became instantly violent and we were soon engaged in a vicious rumba. The doorman (who happened to be the friend of the butt-hole) guided us to the door and was trying to rip me away from him to get me out. While I was in the stairs, the guy tried to kick me right in the face! My girlfriend told me that from the look in his eye, if that man had a gun; I'd be wearing my face on the back of my head!
One night, I was going to humour her again and go there but we were turned away at the door, much to my glee! He said that he didn't know what drugs I was on or how much I had to drink but that I went wild and he couldn't allow me back in! Pfft! There were no drugs and I had barely 2 beers (I didn't get to finish the second one as they kicked me out). That made my day, from then on, my girlfriend stopped pleading with me to go to that place so we hung out at the Ozone Club (my choice) until someone shot someone and they closed the bar for good. Ah... All good things must come to an end.
Iseult
posted 16-Oct-2005 12:46pm  
kicked out of class
lost recess/recess detention
afterschool detention
parents receiving phone call over something you did
spanked, paddled, hit with a ruler, other corporal punishment (not counting by gf/bf or as some stupid frat initiation)
getting handcuffed in a relatively private setting (by police officer) - i was at a houseparty and i asked this guy who was a constable to show me how arresting is being done
other - before class/morning detention
LindaH Bronze Star Survey Creator
(reply to caviartaste) posted 16-Oct-2005 1:32pm  
> I know that a lot of people will say that
> whaaaa violence is not healthy for raising
> a child....but let me tell you something....it
> put a healthy fear in me that i better respect
> and obey my parents. KIDS HAVE NO FEAR today.
> That's whats wrong with them. That's why
> they're killing each other. They're not
> afraid.

Fear doesn't = respect. I'd prefer kids do the right thing because it's the right thing to do not because they are afraid. Healthy adults respect the law because we want to do good, not because we are afraid of what will happen if we don't. I want to raise healthy kids, not cowering fearful obedient kids who would jump at the chance to mishbeave if only they weren't so afraid.
caviartaste
(reply to LindaH) posted 16-Oct-2005 7:01pm  
I disagree. Fear does equal respect on alot of levels. I respect the fact that I better get in out of a lightening storm or it might strike me dead. I respect the fact that I better not lay my hand on a hot stove or it will burn me. Fear establishes that there are consequences for your actions - the likes of which MOST children today DO NOT KNOW. Children need guidance. They are not little adults.
LindaH Bronze Star Survey Creator
(reply to caviartaste) posted 16-Oct-2005 8:52pm  
If the ONLY consequence they fear is punishment, there's a HUGE part of the message they are not getting. Physical punishment is not guidance. If a kid dumps the sand from his shoes on the living room floor, and you punish him without telling him why it is wrong, he only sees it as 'something mom and dad don't like' and not 'something that leaves a mess' or 'something someone else doesn't want to step in'
Kids shouldn't fear their parents. Appropriate consequences should be to fix what you did wrong, not get hit for it. If there's nothing that needs to be rectified, compensated or fixed, then nothing was wrong.
LindaH Bronze Star Survey Creator
(reply to caviartaste) posted 16-Oct-2005 8:53pm  
If the ONLY consequence they fear is punishment, there's a HUGE part of the message they are not getting. Physical punishment is not guidance. If a kid dumps the sand from his shoes on the living room floor, and you punish him without telling him why it is wrong, he only sees it as 'something mom and dad don't like' and not 'something that leaves a mess' or 'something someone else doesn't want to step in'
Kids shouldn't fear their parents. Appropriate consequences should be to fix what you did wrong, not get hit for it. If there's nothing that needs to be rectified, compensated or fixed, then nothing was wrong.
Just because they aren't getting physical punishment, that doesn't mean they aren't getting guidance.
bombill
posted 16-Oct-2005 8:58pm  
A lot of the ones down to suspenson and a few traffic ones.
Zang
posted 16-Oct-2005 9:53pm  
A few of the ones near the top of the list...
southernyankee
posted 16-Oct-2005 11:37pm  
Kicked out of class a few times. Had to do punishwork countless number of times, including once having to write "yes mamn" 800 times, multipication tables, and one time I had to do a thing called back-ups. Real weird. I've lost recess a crap load of times. I also got banned from private property, wasn't allowed to watch the Saints game (this was back in the day when they were good off course wink) if I was bad a certain week, and I even ended up getting handcuffed once. Surprsingly, I hadn't had a speeding ticket yet, not once.
southernyankee
(reply to Irene007) posted 16-Oct-2005 11:50pm  
Well, it largly depends on who threw the first punch. If it was a close call, then normally both of you would get banned from the bar and if the owner was really pissed off, one if not both of you might have gone to jail. Given that he's friends with the doorman, if not possibly the bartender or even the owner for all you know, that probabbly explains why didn't. Since this was a white trash place like you said, nothing that you've mentioned surprises me.

Well, at least your reason for getting banned from somewhere has an interesting story behind it. Mine's lame and stupid.
southernyankee
(reply to Irene007) posted 16-Oct-2005 11:52pm  
speaking of cool places that only ended up getting closed, there was a place called the Ark which was a local punk place that ran for a few months. THey ended up closing it down due to way too many noise complaints from neighbors. It really sucked cause I only been there once and this was right just when I was just strarting to get into local punk.
Irene007
(reply to southernyankee) posted 17-Oct-2005 1:15am  
> Well, it largly depends on who threw the first punch. If it was a
> close call, then normally both of you would get banned from the bar
> and if the owner was really pissed off, one if not both of you might
> have gone to jail. Given that he's friends with the doorman, if not
> possibly the bartender or even the owner for all you know, that probabbly
> explains why didn't. Since this was a white trash place like you
> said, nothing that you've mentioned surprises me.
>
> Well, at least your reason for getting banned from somewhere has an
> interesting story behind it. Mine's lame and stupid.

I think my initial aggression went as far as grabbing him by the shirt to get his attention but it was a long time ago and the fuzzy memory is from the lapse of time and not from being intoxicated - that part I remember full well! The doorman wasn't the owner, just a friend of the violent customer. I call him violent because he blew up immediately and became quite physical. He didn't punch me (nor I him) but he started pushing me around and the scuffle attracted the doorman who guided us towards the door but was trying to get me away from him. The butt-hole was holding me in his grip - like I said; I was in the stairs leaving the place when he tried to kick me in the face!
This guy obviously had issues... A woman hater, and surely a woman beater - I didn't react to his flirtations so rather than being an object of admiration; I immediately became an object of hatred. A rather narcissistic trait, no?

So what's your story?
Irene007
(reply to caviartaste) posted 17-Oct-2005 1:23am  
> I disagree. Fear does equal respect on alot of levels. I respect
> the fact that I better get in out of a lightening storm or it might
> strike me dead. I respect the fact that I better not lay my hand
> on a hot stove or it will burn me. Fear establishes that there are
> consequences for your actions - the likes of which MOST children today
> DO NOT KNOW. Children need guidance. They are not little adults.


Right on!! shake Kids today are brats! Parents don't seem to understand that children need a firm hand and I don't mean on their butts. Being firm means that when a parent says "No." it fudging well means NO! And no amount of whining should change a thing except get them into more trouble. Parents today are so wishy-washy and often give in because they feel guilty. Raising a child within ambiguity is the worst thing a parent can do... They need real and defined parameters, they feel safer within this environment.
Irene007
(reply to LindaH) posted 17-Oct-2005 1:27am  
> If the ONLY consequence they fear is punishment, there's a HUGE part
> of the message they are not getting. Physical punishment is not guidance.
> If a kid dumps the sand from his shoes on the living room floor, and
> you punish him without telling him why it is wrong, he only sees it
> as 'something mom and dad don't like' and not 'something that leaves
> a mess' or 'something someone else doesn't want to step in'
> Kids shouldn't fear their parents. Appropriate consequences should
> be to fix what you did wrong, not get hit for it. If there's nothing
> that needs to be rectified, compensated or fixed, then nothing was
> wrong.


Punishment doesn't necessarily mean "corporeal" punishment... Fear comes from many things (as Caviar mentioned), I feared my parents disapproval not because I was afraid that they'd hit me, I just didn't want to let them down and be disappointed in me...
Irene007
(reply to southernyankee) posted 17-Oct-2005 1:28am  
> Kicked out of class a few times. Had to do punishwork countless
> number of times, including once having to write "yes mamn" 800 times,
> multipication tables, and one time I had to do a thing called back-ups.
> Real weird. I've lost recess a crap load of times. I also got banned
> from private property, wasn't allowed to watch the Saints game (this
> was back in the day when they were good off course wink) if I was bad
> a certain week, and I even ended up getting handcuffed once. Surprsingly,
> I hadn't had a speeding ticket yet, not once.


I've had 3 of those... frown But not lately! grin
Irene007
(reply to southernyankee) posted 17-Oct-2005 1:33am  
> speaking of cool places that only ended up getting closed, there was
> a place called the Ark which was a local punk place that ran for a
> few months. THey ended up closing it down due to way too many noise
> complaints from neighbors. It really sucked cause I only been there
> once and this was right just when I was just strarting to get into
> local punk.


Damn! I hate when that happens! I used to hang out in this pub - it was like my livingroom! I was always there and I knew everybody. Many of the older people knew my older siblings so they'd look out for me - I loved it but then the place got raided for drugs and it never was the same after that... frown I went in about 10 years later and I walked out just as fast! I pretended that I needed change to make a phone call just to get out without loosing face. The place still had the same decor - it was really cool back then but 10 years later; it was out-of-date and real shabby looking. It was sad...
LindaH Bronze Star Survey Creator
(reply to Irene007) posted 17-Oct-2005 10:42am  
Fear of disapproval is reasonable. It isn't a cowering "shaking in your boots" kind of fear. It shows that you care what they think of you because you love them.
Irene007
(reply to LindaH) posted 17-Oct-2005 12:48pm  
> Fear of disapproval is reasonable. It isn't a cowering "shaking in
> your boots" kind of fear. It shows that you care what they think of
> you because you love them.

Voilà! That's the key! You love them and teach them to respect your authority and they will love you for taking good care of them. Letting them run loose, decide what's for supper etc... will leave them with no respect for you in the end.
southernyankee
(reply to Irene007) posted 17-Oct-2005 12:56pm  
If I were the owner I probabbly would have banned you both, if not permanantly at least for a while. And even then if I even saw both of you in the bar at the same time I'd probabbly get a little nervous. I would have my security guys keep on eye if either of you got within 5 feet of each other. Drugs and alcohol does tend to make people do stupid things. I should know.


"This guy obviously had issues... A woman hater, and surely a woman beater - I didn't react to his flirtations so rather than being an object of admiration; I immediately became an object of hatred. A rather narcissistic trait, no?"

Yeah, definatly. Still. Its not really worth messing with him though. Don't be too shocked if he's in prison by now or was in prison. I say its not worth getting charges over him. This stupid white trash isn't worth jail time.




"So what's your story?"

getting caught shoplifting



Irene007
(reply to southernyankee) posted 17-Oct-2005 12:58pm  
>
> "So what's your story?"
>
> getting caught shoplifting
>

laughing out loud At least I didn't get caught at that and I was the best dressed kid in school! wink
southernyankee
(reply to Irene007) posted 17-Oct-2005 1:03pm  
yeah, about a little over a year ago I got a little bit fudgeed up and had the (no so) bright idea that just because you get something doesn't mean you have to buy it. Unfortuantly for me Walmart has more hidden cameras than Fort Knox. I won't tell you the exact location, item or person/people I was with. Allthough definatly not a good idea. So they sort of banned me from pretty much anything the Walmans own over a relativly small item. Allthough they don't really enforce it. Probabbly just a bluf to discourage multiple offenders. Allthough its not worth the risk.
southernyankee
(reply to Irene007) posted 17-Oct-2005 1:04pm  
lol

btw: that also explains the getting handcuffed in public.
southernyankee
(reply to Irene007) posted 17-Oct-2005 1:07pm  
well, the point is moot anyway, since the Ark was under 2 feet worth of water for over two weeks. I dont think that area was very high in elevation. The poor section was just across the street.
southernyankee
(reply to Irene007) posted 17-Oct-2005 1:07pm  
yeah, speeding tickets really suck. Its all about knowing where the cops enforce them and where they dont give a rats ass.
LindaH Bronze Star Survey Creator
(reply to Irene007) posted 17-Oct-2005 1:27pm  
You mean letting them decide whats for supper every night, don't you? I think it's ok to let them decide every once in a while. (but you pick which nights to let them decide, and it should be among options that you've already picked) Should we have pizza tonight, or spaghetti?
Irene007
(reply to southernyankee) posted 17-Oct-2005 6:22pm  
> yeah, about a little over a year ago I got a little bit fudgeed up
> and had the (no so) bright idea that just because you get something
> doesn't mean you have to buy it. Unfortuantly for me Walmart has
> more hidden cameras than Fort Knox. I won't tell you the exact location,
> item or person/people I was with. Allthough definatly not a good
> idea. So they sort of banned me from pretty much anything the Walmans
> own over a relativly small item. Allthough they don't really enforce
> it. Probabbly just a bluf to discourage multiple offenders. Allthough
> its not worth the risk.


Not to worry! I've quite outgrown the temptation - besides, I can afford it now! wink
Irene007
(reply to southernyankee) posted 17-Oct-2005 6:23pm  
> lol
>
> btw: that also explains the getting handcuffed in public.


How embarrassing!

Hey! I just noticed your avatar... Uh, I found this chocolate doily today while at work but I didn't post it! winking raspberry
Coco
(reply to Irene007) posted 17-Oct-2005 6:32pm  
I was a little rebel !!!! And I loved it!
Irene007
(reply to LindaH) posted 17-Oct-2005 6:38pm  
> You mean letting them decide whats for supper every night, don't you?
> I think it's ok to let them decide every once in a while. (but you
> pick which nights to let them decide, and it should be among options
> that you've already picked) Should we have pizza tonight, or spaghetti?


Sure! Sure! No one can be that rigid! I mean people who have finnicky kids who don't like this and don't like that so they have them pick what's for supper to be sure that they eat something but these people don't realize that they're the ones causing the kid to be finnicky in the first place by catering to them all the time! Kids have to learn that life is not always the way they want it and the sooner they get it, the better.
Irene007
(reply to Coco) posted 17-Oct-2005 6:45pm  
> I was a little rebel !!!! And I loved it!

Yeah... I remember when you were much younger; "Non non Coco, touches pas à ça!" Ka-bling! Ka-blang! Crash!!
You were a little stinker but oh so cute! grin

Coco
(reply to Irene007) posted 17-Oct-2005 6:48pm  
And Im still so cute grin
caviartaste
(reply to Irene007) posted 17-Oct-2005 7:03pm  
> |> I disagree. Fear does equal respect on alot of levels. I respect
> |> the fact that I better get in out of a lightening storm or it
> might
> |> strike me dead. I respect the fact that I better not lay my
> hand
> |> on a hot stove or it will burn me. Fear establishes that there
> are
> |> consequences for your actions - the likes of which MOST children
> today
> |> DO NOT KNOW. Children need guidance. They are not little adults.
>
>
> Right on!! shake Kids today are brats! Parents don't seem to understand
> that children need a firm hand and I don't mean on their butts. Being
> firm means that when a parent says "No." it fudging well means NO!
> And no amount of whining should change a thing except get them into
> more trouble. Parents today are so wishy-washy and often give in
> because they feel guilty. Raising a child within ambiguity is the
> worst thing a parent can do... They need real and defined parameters,
> they feel safer within this environment.

Thank you. I think my parents raised me well. I've never been in any major trouble, and it wasn't out of FEAR....it was out of respect for authority and believe it or not - I learned it from parents who not only offered me alot of guidance and fostered my independence but who also believed that it was also within the confines of parental perogative to backhand me JUST ONCE. But like I said -they didn't abuse me - ever. Every child is different. I was special. Once was all it took. grin

You know what I think is interesting today? I know alot of kids whose parents didn't spank them and they HATE their parents!! well...my parents DID discipline me...and I love them to death for it. Kids need it - they yearn for it.
Irene007
(reply to Coco) posted 17-Oct-2005 8:38pm  
> And Im still so cute grin

Yeah... smile

LindaH Bronze Star Survey Creator
(reply to Irene007) posted 17-Oct-2005 9:46pm  
Yep. People can't tolerate disappointment and frustration very well if they've been catered to all their childhood.
Irene007
(reply to caviartaste) posted 17-Oct-2005 11:48pm  
> |> |> I disagree. Fear does equal respect on alot of levels.
> I respect
> |> |> the fact that I better get in out of a lightening storm
> or it
> |> might
> |> |> strike me dead. I respect the fact that I better not
> lay my
> |> hand
> |> |> on a hot stove or it will burn me. Fear establishes that
> there
> |> are
> |> |> consequences for your actions - the likes of which MOST
> children
> |> today
> |> |> DO NOT KNOW. Children need guidance. They are not little
> adults.
> |>
> |>
> |> Right on!! shake Kids today are brats! Parents don't seem
> to understand
> |> that children need a firm hand and I don't mean on their butts.
> Being
> |> firm means that when a parent says "No." it fudging well means
> NO!
> |> And no amount of whining should change a thing except get them
> into
> |> more trouble. Parents today are so wishy-washy and often give
> in
> |> because they feel guilty. Raising a child within ambiguity
> is the
> |> worst thing a parent can do... They need real and defined parameters,
> |> they feel safer within this environment.
>
> Thank you. I think my parents raised me well. I've never been in
> any major trouble, and it wasn't out of FEAR....it was out of respect
> for authority and believe it or not - I learned it from parents who
> not only offered me alot of guidance and fostered my independence
> but who also believed that it was also within the confines of parental
> perogative to backhand me JUST ONCE. But like I said -they didn't
> abuse me - ever. Every child is different. I was special. Once
> was all it took. grin
>
> You know what I think is interesting today? I know alot of kids whose
> parents didn't spank them and they HATE their parents!! well...my
> parents DID discipline me...and I love them to death for it. Kids
> need it - they yearn for it.
>


My spanking was when I was so young (5 or 6 was the last time; they were few and far between - I only remember one really!) - after that, came the age of reason and the understanding of respect was already set and not because of fear of pain. Those early spankings made me understand at a young age that respect was required. When so young, you equate (reasonable-not abusive) spanking with something you did that was met with disapproval. The embarrassment of the action of spanking is just as bad as the shame of letting your parents down. No need for physical action at this point - the lesson should be learned by this time. I think that is where the problem is; people are afraid to spank a 2 year old for fear that some "do-gooder" will call you in about it. You can't reason with a 2 yr old; picture this -
You're in a canoe with a 3 yr old, he/she will not sit down and whines that he/she wants to play with the water. The kid won't sit down and keeps tilting the boat everytime he/she gets up and risks upturning it. If he/she keeps doing it - ya smack him/her so he/she understand that this is serious and he/she must stay put! You can't reason with a child this age - sure you can discuss the situation with him/her but when a kid gets it in his/her mind that this what they want and they're used to getting what they want; a smack is all they'll understand at this point. It's not the pain that scares them into behaving (unless it's abusive), it's the embarrassment of that kind of punishment. (I've seen parents trying to reason with children of this age in stores - OK so it's not a life threatening situation but the point should be the same; NO fudging well means NO!)

When Mat was about 4 (poor things, at that age; they don't even have a real concept of what 3 days means) we used to punish him by removing his Nintendo privileges - bear in mind that this doesn't work for all children, Jess did give a rat's ass about that stupid machine! (Mouhahahah! We had other evil punishments for her!!) So he soon started to harass us about when he could play again - when that became a nuisance; we added to his punishment an extra day whenever he even said the word "Nintendo"! >smile Oh fudge! Did that work!! laughing out loud Poor kid! You should have seen him when he was trying to tell us that his very young cousin was playing with the equipment and risked damaging it - he dared not say that he was playing with the Nintendo's remotes and frustratingly demanded that we went into the livingroom to see what the child was up too! laughing out loud It was funny to hear him skirt around the word while he was trying to ask us when he could play with "it" again! It was really funny to us and not at all damaging to him... What's most effective in child rearing is consistency - if you said no, it is not negotiable and this they must learn at an early age - then you'll have no problems. I didn't and to this day, I have a great relationship with both of our children... grin
Irene007
(reply to LindaH) posted 18-Oct-2005 12:00am  
> Yep. People can't tolerate disappointment and frustration very well
> if they've been catered to all their childhood.

ohhh yeah... I've met a couple of total fudge-ups myself. Born in Japan, raised by nannies, silver-spoon fed all their young lives, no motivation to do anything because Dad's so rich - Why work? Dad'll pay for it...
Such talent with such opportunities - how do they manage to fudge it up?!? wry smile

southernyankee
(reply to Irene007) posted 18-Oct-2005 12:03am  
lol
Irene007
(reply to southernyankee) posted 18-Oct-2005 12:05am  
> lol


Oh! So you know Mike and Rachel too? winking raspberry
southernyankee
(reply to Irene007) posted 18-Oct-2005 12:06am  
who are they wry smile
Irene007
(reply to southernyankee) posted 18-Oct-2005 12:12am  
Aw... It's a long story and I've typed too much tonight. Pfft! I didn't even finish the work I started... frown
Hans
posted 18-Oct-2005 5:43pm  
(List too long.)
hypersky
posted 18-Oct-2005 10:17pm  
A very colourful list, but the Céline Dion punishment sounds exquisitely excruciating...

I've got about 8-10 from the top of the list, which I guess makes me a low-grade risk to society.
verouge
posted 20-Oct-2005 5:08am  
kicked out of class
made do push-ups, running, other physical activity (not counting losing a game in PE)
had to write a sentence, phrase, or word X number of times on a loose leaf
had to write multiplication tables X number of times on a loose leaf
lost recess/recess detention

I was a good student at school!!
cloudhugger
posted 23-Oct-2005 10:40am  
got half way and got tired of reading punishments. It actually depressed me.
autumnlight
posted 26-Oct-2005 8:48am  
Good range of options!
kitti723
posted 27-Oct-2005 8:29am  
9, i actually got suspended from school for skipping school. how stupid. it was just another jolly holiday.
iwish40
posted 3-Nov-2005 1:06am  
When I was a kid, yeh, I got spanked, had to stand in the corner, had to write a sentence and my Xs tables.
And I've had a Traffic Ticket, but that was a LONG time ago.

Made to wear a T-shirt?...what kind of punishment is that????
FauxLo Bronze Star Survey Creator
posted 27-Nov-2005 2:54pm  
I'm a bad seed.
Liss
posted 16-Jul-2008 2:57am  
kicked out of class - Once a week or so
had to write a sentence, phrase, or word X number of times on a loose leaf - ten times or so
had some other writing punishment on a loose leaf - write an essay in apology to a teacher
lost recess/recess detention - all the time
afterschool detention - six times a year
parents receiving phone call over something you did - Once
lost watching TV, phone, internet access privileges
grounded by parents from going outside
lost some other kind of privilege by parents or school officials - going on a trip for stealing glue sticks
spanked, paddled, hit with a ruler, other corporal punishment (not counting by gf/bf or as some stupid frat initiation)
suspension from school - once
in-school suspension - twice
Biggles Bronze Star Survey Creator
posted 27-Jan-2012 5:18pm  
I got sent to my room a lot.
Liss
posted 28-Jan-2012 9:54am  
I may now add the following to the above list:

A fine
Getting handcuffed in public (by police officer. once again, not counting gf/bf)
Received a "0" or other failing grade for cheating*
Banishment from some private property for life†

*Not for cheating; I drew all over my paper and it was disqualified. Though, it was an in-class test so no biggy.
†I'm banned from Debenhams...
Aussie_Callum
posted 14-Sep-2017 8:16am  
Guess I've had a few when u see the list. The most common (and the one I hated most) was dad whacking my backside with a wooden yardstick. Boy it used to hurt, even as a teenager.
Last
Advanced_Stats

If you'd like to vote and/or comment on this survey, please Sign On

 
Link this survey: http://surveycentral.org/survey/punishments-consequences-ever-gotten--22731.html

Hits: 0 today (1 in the last 30 days)