Sign On
Create Account

Last

TypeCreatedCategoryCreatorSortVotesHidesRating
single8-Aug-2006politics/religionchol unsorted49553.1%

Advanced_Stats

Is it patriotic to criticize the President during a time of war?

Some individuals have claimed that people who criticize the President during a time of war are being unpatriotic. (Or, if you are not an American, how do you feel about criticizing your political leader during war time?)


VotesAnswer
2It is unpatriotic to criticize the President anytime
1It is usually not unpatriotic, but during a war it is unpatriotic to criticize the President
8It is patriotic to criticize the President any time.
14It is a patriotic duty to criticize the President, if I don't agree.
5It is especially patriotic to criticize the President during a time of war or any other serious period.


UserComment
clare
posted 8-Aug-2006 9:51pm  
It's neither patriotic or unpatriotic to criticize the president. It's us exercising our Freedom of Speech.
Zang
posted 8-Aug-2006 9:55pm  
True patriots are ever vigilant against their elected leaders. This is of particular importance in times of war.

Some people, on the other hand are partisan to their political party and have absurd expectations that leaders from their party should be above criticism. Those are the people who come up with such nonsense as suggesting that it isn't patriotic to criticise your leader.

Of course, as a Canadian I should probably point out that during the American Revolutionary War, the people who thought that it wasn't patriotic to criticise your leaders were called "Canadians".
was_Frostbrand
posted 8-Aug-2006 10:03pm  
"The President is merely the most important among a large number of public servants. He should be supported or opposed exactly to the degree which is warranted by his good conduct or bad conduct, his efficiency or inefficiency in rendering loyal, able, and disinterested service to the Nation as a whole. Therefore it is absolutely necessary that there should be full liberty to tell the truth about his acts, and this means that it is exactly necessary to blame him when he does wrong as to praise him when he does right. Any other attitude in an American citizen is both base and servile. To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public. Nothing but the truth should be spoken about him or any one else. But it is even more important to tell the truth, pleasant or unpleasant, about him than about any one else."

Teddy Roosevelt, May 7, 1918. Teddy is what the propagandists at Fox news would call a Liberal America Hating French Loving Muslim Traitor.  * wink *
Amanda
posted 8-Aug-2006 10:10pm  
I think it's find to voice your opinion or to criticize actions taken by the President. However, I do think there's a line that should be drawn.
Enheduanna Survey Central Subscriber
posted 8-Aug-2006 10:17pm  
If you think the President (or leader, whatever the title) is wrong, at any time, it is patriotic to criticize him (or her). Patriotism is about standing up for your country, not about agreeing with its leader. The President is not the same as the country, and I would hope most people care more about the country than about the President.
ultamate Happy Birthday to Me
posted 8-Aug-2006 10:29pm  
I don't know if patriotic is the right word for it one way or the other. I consider myself patriotic but it has little to do with the president who is only one person. I don't consider him all that powerful with out the people. Who are the people to me? Those that are stationed all over the world risking their life’s for this country, rather it be for a cause I would believe in or not. I couldn't care less if it is war time or not, the president was voted in office because people hoped he would make good choices and when he doesn’t, why shouldn't we speak up? I'll say though as I've said before... You can speak up with out desecrating our flag.
romkey Survey Central Gold Subscriber
posted 9-Aug-2006 12:57am  
Being critical of the President is not a question of patriotism.
southernyankee
posted 9-Aug-2006 1:05am  
Its patriotic on the condition you honestly think his decision is bad for the country and thus if he'd listened to you (not that he would anyway) the country would be better of for it. It doesn't nessasarily mean that you ARE right, its just enough to THINK you are right. Its the intent that counts.

Example, you're against a war --mostly-- because you, a SO, or someone close of yours might get drafted or get activated or are against a tax increase because you don't want to pay the tax, then no. It doesn't mean that you are wrong on that count, just that it wouldn't qualify for patriotic. If you were against those out of principle, particularly because you think its bad for the country, then yes.
RGirl
posted 9-Aug-2006 1:07am  
Has not one iota to do with patriotism. If the President deserves criticism he sure as hell should be getting it.
southernyankee
(reply to was_Frostbrand) posted 9-Aug-2006 1:18am  
If a crazy klansman ran amok causing trouble and mayham, and in his own dilusioned mind thought setting churches and other things on fire was good for the country and critized Bush for making activities illegal and speaking out against his hiring of Colin Powel, wouldn't he techniclly be patriotic.

True, he would belong in prison or posiblly on death row, and I wouldn't miss him, but you couldn't say he isn't a patriot. You could say he is a lot of things, but unpatriotic wouldn't be one of them.


Just a thought.
cerealkiller Survey Qualifier
posted 9-Aug-2006 1:57am  
None of the above. I don't think criticizm is related to patriotism.
was_Frostbrand
(reply to southernyankee) posted 9-Aug-2006 4:13am  
> If a crazy klansman ran amok causing trouble and
> mayham, and in his own dilusioned mind thought
> setting churches and other things on fire was
> good for the country and critized Bush for making
> activities illegal and speaking out against his
> hiring of Colin Powel, wouldn't he techniclly
> be patriotic.
>
> True, he would belong in prison or posiblly on
> death row, and I wouldn't miss him, but you couldn't
> say he isn't a patriot. You could say he is a
> lot of things, but unpatriotic wouldn't be one
> of them.
>
>
> Just a thought.

What does that have to do with the quote?

Maarten
posted 9-Aug-2006 5:56am  
image
bill Survey Central Gold Subscriber Bronze Star Survey Creator
posted 9-Aug-2006 9:44am  
In a democracy, it's important to be critical of politicians, including the president. We are an active part of the "checks and balances" relied upon to keep our system of government operating properly.
Jody
posted 9-Aug-2006 10:57am  
It is neither patriotic nor unpatriotic to criticize the president, but the more logical and defensible the criticism, the less likely it is to be seen as unpatriotic.
autumnlight
posted 9-Aug-2006 2:04pm  
Criticising your president has nothing to do with patriotism.
mve17
posted 9-Aug-2006 3:57pm  
Maybe baby
Enigma
posted 9-Aug-2006 8:34pm  
We don't have a President but I think it is always prudent to question the governing body when you live in a democratic country. It's difficult to get at the truth, sometimes impossible but we owe it to our country and ourselves to try and get to it.
cloudhugger Survey Central Gold Subscriber
posted 9-Aug-2006 10:01pm  
Freedom of speech.

It may be unpatriotic to agree with him in his potential crimes.
hypersky
posted 9-Aug-2006 11:27pm  
It is your patriotic duty to criticize the President, if you don't agree.

That is what democracy is all about. I'm not talking about disagreeing with him solely because he's an idiot (which I firmly believe he is), but taking him to task when the decisions he makes run squarely against the best interests of the American people.

The fact that America has troops engaged in combat in two countries whose strategic value is questionable, and sent there under shadowy premises is reason enough to hold your president to account. As far as I know, Bush has never made a convincing case for sending combat forces into either Iraq or Afghanistan (the war on terror and Weapons of Mass Destruction are both laughable excuses for sending 2,500 troops--and counting--to their deaths).

The President of the United States should not be above reproach, and this one especially seems to think that he should be allowed to operate in a manner that violates the American Constitution and many international laws and treaties. His ill-conceived and badly executed military forays are nothing but a waste of money and lives, not to mention that they have spread hatred for the US at lightning speed. Those who 5 years ago only disliked the United States now despise it and its citizens to the point of wanting to state this fact.

If the point of going into Afghanistan and Iraq was to install democracies and make the United States safer from terrorism, he has failed miserably. And yet he refuses to admit that his decision to go to war was the wrong one.

Is this the kind of legacy this President wants to be remembered by?
ROCKMAN
posted 13-Aug-2006 8:09am  
Patriotic doesn't have anything to do with criticizing.
kitti723
posted 15-Aug-2006 12:59am  
That's not my President. I didn't vote for him. Criticize him all you want.
louise1014
posted 15-Aug-2006 11:19am  
i would have preferred to see an 'other' option. i think it is a matter of free speech to critcize or not criticize anything or anyone in the U.S. government at any time.
Iseult Bronze Star Survey Creator
posted 20-Aug-2006 7:28pm  
I wouldn't know, I don't have a president.
chumpsrock
posted 15-Oct-2006 3:11pm  
It is especially patriotic to criticize the President during a time of war or any other serious period.

For something as important as war a President should be able to answer criticism and justify his/her actions. It is completely unAmerican not to question what our leaders are doing.
meanfighter
posted 19-Oct-2006 11:48pm  
Yes it patriotic to criticize the President. This is especially true when he is ignoring the constitution and committing illegal and treasonous acts against the citizens of the United States. George W. Bush should be impeached and then tried for treason (which still carries the death penalty here). The President should be criticized anytime he does things that are directly against the welfare of the nation, especially when so many of his acts are illegal.
patarnone
posted 2-Dec-2006 7:32pm  
We have freedom of speech here, I can call the President of the United States a stupid, dumb, butt-hole when ever I want... especially when he is.
Last
Advanced_Stats

If you'd like to vote and/or comment on this survey, please Sign On

 
Link this survey: http://surveycentral.org/survey/patriotic-criticize-president-time-war--24934.html

Hits: 0 today (0 in the last 30 days)