Sign On
Create Account

Last

TypeCreatedCategoryCreatorSortVotesHidesRating
single21-Nov-2010healthpaulyw Survey Central Subscriber Gold Star Survey Creator Survey Qualifier by votes46456.1%

Advanced_Stats

Have you ever gotten the flu shot?




VotesAnswer
18Yes I have had the flu shot.
17No I have not had the flu shot.
4I used to get the flu shot but not no more.
1I have something else to share.
0What is the flu shot?


UserComment
Biggles
posted 21-Nov-2010 10:10am  
Not the flu vaccine, but I have had a flu vaccine. I've never had the standard annual vaccination, even though at some points I've been entitled to receive it free on the NHS (because of working in healthcare). However, last year I volunteered for a study and had two doses of one of the swine flu vaccines (it was double-blind, so I don't know what I had).

This year, I have given at least 50 flu vaccinations to other people (who were entitled to it on the NHS due to their age, or having certain medical conditions). I prefer being on that side of the needle! That said, I think I will have the flu vaccination in the future, when I'm entitled to it again. I've had flu twice, and it's horrible  * frown *
Galomorro Survey Qualifier
posted 21-Nov-2010 12:02pm  
No.
bill Survey Central Gold Subscriber Silver Star Survey Creator This user is on the site NOW (7 minutes ago)
posted 21-Nov-2010 12:33pm  
Yes, I've gotten it every year for the past few years or so. I just got the shot last week as well.
Last year, I got both flu shots. I'm one of the people who doctors tell to get the shot, I think because of a drug I take which suppresses my immune system.
When I got the 2 shots last year, I did it by appointment and it ended up costing me $130! Previous years, it was just free in the hallway of the hospital and I happened to be there so I got it. I did that this year too. If it wasn't free, I don't think I'd get the shot. Or, I'd at least try to get it for less (maybe I'd spend $20, but not $130). I had the flu once (I think) over 10 years ago and it was pretty bad. But, I don't really worry about it or think that I'm prone to getting it. Partly, I do it because it's considerate thing since it means I also wont infect others.
they This user is on the site NOW (5 minutes ago)
posted 21-Nov-2010 12:36pm  
Hell no.
bill Survey Central Gold Subscriber Silver Star Survey Creator This user is on the site NOW (7 minutes ago)
(reply to Biggles) posted 21-Nov-2010 12:38pm  
I'm surprised you haven't been getting it. I think in the US most medical workers get the flu shot. I suspect it may be required or just something that is highly recommended to them. I think it's because they are more likely to get exposed and more likely to spread it if they get it. I bet they generally get it for free, though.
Biggles
(reply to bill) posted 21-Nov-2010 1:26pm  
As far as I'm aware, I don't qualify at the moment because I'm not employed by the NHS. I was offered it when I was last working, but although I spend all of my time in he NHS as a student, I'm not actually working for them. We were all offered the swine flu vaccination last year though (for free). NHS workers are certainly not required to have the flu vaccination, though I can't see why it shouldn't be a requirement (bar medical exclusions) since clinical staff do have to prove that they're immune to Hepatitis B, chickenpox, measles, mumps and rubella.

I could pay to have it at a pharmacy (which is what my Mum has done for the last few years) which is pretty cheap (about 9), but I never have.
kirst
posted 21-Nov-2010 5:21pm  
Yes, I typically get the flu shot each year but NEVER again. I have been terribly sick for the last three weeks after the 2010 shot. I'm convinced the reaction was from the H1N1 component. I'm still not 100% back to normal but my joints are much better and most of the swelling is gone.
ASB
(reply to kirst) posted 21-Nov-2010 5:28pm  
did you get the nasal vaccine?
LJD Gold Qualifier
posted 21-Nov-2010 10:39pm  
No, and I never will. I think they're bad.
jettles Survey Central Subscriber Survey Qualifier
posted 21-Nov-2010 11:18pm  
yep, every year
labjog
posted 22-Nov-2010 12:39am  
Yes, I get it every year for free through my work place.
CarlHalling
posted 22-Nov-2010 6:10am  
No, I've never had it.
TeddyMiller Survey Central Gold Subscriber
posted 22-Nov-2010 10:30am  
I got a flu shot at work last month.
emogirl
posted 22-Nov-2010 12:10pm  
i use to get the flu shot but not no more
cerealkiller Survey Qualifier
posted 22-Nov-2010 2:16pm  
Nope. Don't believe in those.
kirst
(reply to ASB) posted 22-Nov-2010 5:09pm  
No, I had the traditional inactivated injection. Don't ask me how my body went haywire after the injection, but it did.
FordGuy Survey Central Subscriber Survey Qualifier
posted 23-Nov-2010 7:03am  
I think there are two kinds of people in this world, those that swear by the flu shot, and those that swear by not getting it. I'm in the latter group.
LindaH Gold Star Survey Creator Survey Qualifier
(reply to kirst) posted 23-Nov-2010 11:21pm  
Sounds like you would have been better off just getting the flu. I got the flu last year and it wasn't as bad as what you describe.
Enheduanna Survey Central Subscriber
posted 25-Nov-2010 11:49am  
No.
rustygirl50
posted 28-Nov-2010 11:54am  
I would NEVER get the flu shot. And just recently found out a friend of mine did and was paralyzed from the neck down and died from it. Doesn't make me even think of wanting that damn shot.. EVER.
Iseult Bronze Star Survey Creator
posted 28-Nov-2010 9:35pm  
I've never gone and gotten a flu shot on my own account. My parents took me when I was too young to care.
Gomezy3k
posted 29-Nov-2010 11:12am  
Yes I get them when I get around to it.
judgescratch
posted 4-Dec-2010 11:28am  
once
cloudhugger Survey Central Gold Subscriber
posted 16-Dec-2010 11:18pm  
Yes. I have had in the past. I used to get the flu so bad it would put me down for days and I would get it once a month. The shot did not help. I tried it for about 3 or 4 years and after I heard all the debates about them I chose to not get them anymore.

I do not get the flu anymore. I went natural health and when everyone around me starts dropping like flies, the worst I get is discomfort for no more than a few days. It has been like this for about 8 years now.

For those that continue to get the shot, I urge you to do your own research and think hard about the consequences. Their are other options out there that work.
Coco
posted 28-Dec-2010 4:08pm  
No and I do not want it I don't believe in that!
autumnlight
posted 31-Jan-2011 4:52pm  
No thanks. We get offered it at work every year, but I always decline.
JessicaWoman99 Double Gold Star Survey Creator
posted 5-Mar-2011 4:41pm  
I have gotten the flu shot yes
Irene007 Survey Central Gold Subscriber Bronze Star Survey Creator
posted 20-Apr-2011 2:50am  
No, not even when H1N1 was the big scare... That petered out - I wonder what happened? One thing for sure, some pharmaceutical companies made money and WE paid for it!!  * rolls eyes *
Irene007 Survey Central Gold Subscriber Bronze Star Survey Creator
(reply to bill) posted 20-Apr-2011 2:56am  
> Partly, I do it because it's considerate
> thing since it means I also wont infect others.

Not true, if you're immunized against a bug; it just means that you won't fall prey to it (just by having had it before will make you immune) but it doesn't mean that you're not carrying it. You can still be a carrier, spreading it all over just by talking to a person without ever succumbing to it.
bill Survey Central Gold Subscriber Silver Star Survey Creator This user is on the site NOW (7 minutes ago)
(reply to Irene007) posted 20-Apr-2011 6:26am  
Well, I disagree.
Irene007 Survey Central Gold Subscriber Bronze Star Survey Creator
(reply to bill) posted 20-Apr-2011 6:28am  
With which part? The part that if you have had the bug and encounter it again; you will or you won't get sick. And if you've had it and encounter it again, you are or not a carrier?
Irene007 Survey Central Gold Subscriber Bronze Star Survey Creator
(reply to bill) posted 20-Apr-2011 6:28am  
> Well, I disagree.

Go to bed!  * winking raspberry *
bill Survey Central Gold Subscriber Silver Star Survey Creator This user is on the site NOW (7 minutes ago)
(reply to Irene007) posted 20-Apr-2011 8:14am  
I stand by my original statement (that you quoted and said was "not true"). Flu vaccines help prevent the spread of the virus. It's not just for your personal protection from getting sick, but it also helps prevent you from spreading flu to other people.

YOU ARE WRONG!

> Go to bed!  * winking raspberry *

but, I just woke up!
Irene007 Survey Central Gold Subscriber Bronze Star Survey Creator
(reply to bill) posted 20-Apr-2011 1:22pm  
Sick or not, you can still be a carrier of the virus.
Biggles
(reply to Irene007) posted 21-Apr-2011 8:31pm  
Bill's right.

There's a small risk that if someone with flu coughed into their hand, then shook hands with someone who had been vaccinated, that person could then touch someone else and potentially infect them by transfer. However, it would usually have to be a very rapid chain of events as viruses generally don't survive for long away from their ideal (internal) environment. There's some evidence of influenza virus particles lasting a couple of days on some types of surface, but not on skin where minutes would be more typical. The only other way that you could be "carrying" influenza would be if you were infected, and assuming the vaccination has worked (which it doesn't in 100% of cases) then your immune system will destroy any virus particles that you do happen to come into contact with very rapidly and very efficiently. In order to infect someone else you would need to be shedding huge quantities of replicating virus - something that only happens if you have an established infection yourself.

"Sick or not, you can still be a carrier of the virus."

This, I think, is a different point. People can have subclinical infections and be largely asymptomatic. For example, people early in HIV infection or Typhoid Mary, but they're still infected. People can often transmit the flu virus a day or two before they show symptoms but as they won't be coughing and sneezing you are less likely to catch anything from them at that stage anyway. And that doesn't remove the fact that they're infected because they haven't received a (successful) flu vaccination (for the strain that they've caught).

Healthcare professionals and people who care for frail/unwell relatives are usually offered the flu vaccination. Of course, it helps if people in these roles aren't having to take time off because they have flu, but primarily it's to stop them from transmitting flu to their patients. And it works  * smile *
Irene007 Survey Central Gold Subscriber Bronze Star Survey Creator
(reply to Biggles) posted 21-Apr-2011 9:25pm  
> The only other way that you could
> be "carrying" influenza would be if you were infected, and assuming
> the vaccination has worked (which it doesn't in 100% of cases)

Why? Because of the 'shot in the dark' prediction of which strain will show up during the flu season?
Biggles
(reply to Irene007) posted 22-Apr-2011 9:21am  
Why doesn't it work in some cases? Sometimes it just doesn't take - maybe there's not a high enough dose in the vaccine, maybe your immune system just doesn't respond as it should, maybe the vaccine you got hadn't been stored correctly, etc - there are plenty of reasons (mostly uncontrollable/unpredictable) that a vaccine might not work.

Predicting the strains that are going to be a problem that year is a different kettle of fish. You describe it as a "shot in the dark" which I think is unfair, given just how well the vaccination programme does work (it wouldn't work very well if there weren't experts out there who were very good at deciding what strains to include in the vaccine that year). I don't know a huge amount about the surveillance programme, but I do know that it's very good at predicting the most prevalent strains, except for when you have something very new showing up (like bird flu).
Irene007 Survey Central Gold Subscriber Bronze Star Survey Creator
(reply to Biggles) posted 22-Apr-2011 12:17pm  
I got the shot in the dark thing from a report a saw a couple of years ago. They were discussing the difficulties of stocking up on the right vaccine the year before the season sets in. It's still speculating the future based on the present viral trends so they can make a wrong decision.
Last
Advanced_Stats

If you'd like to vote and/or comment on this survey, please Sign On

 
Link this survey: http://surveycentral.org/survey/ever-gotten-flu-shot--32753.html

Hits: 0 today (0 in the last 30 days)